Digital marketing is constantly evolving. Strategies that worked the previous year may no longer be as effective the following year. To have successful campaigns, businesses must stay updated on the latest digital marketing trends. Here is a summary of digital marketing trends 2020 and where the future of digital marketing is headed.
Importance of Digital Marketing Trends 2020
What is digital marketing? Digital marketing refers to any form of marketing that takes place in the digital space. With more people gaining access to the internet, digital marketing uses channels such as websites, email, social media, search engines, and mobile applications to advertise to consumers. Through digital marketing campaigns, businesses can attract, engage, and convert consumers into loyal customers.
As technology continues to improve year after year, digital marketing strategies must also adapt to these changes. When advertising to your customers online, you need to refer to the latest digital marketing updates and developments to ensure optimal results.
5 Trends in Digital Marketing That You Need to Know About
Here are the five digital marketing topics that should be a part of your online strategy for 2020:
1. Video Marketing
Video marketing is one of the most important digital marketing trends in 2020 — and for many years to come. Though other forms of content are still valuable, video has become the king of content marketing.
In the United States, over 85% of all internet users watch online videos on their devices each month. On average, a person will spend about 105 minutes consuming videos per week. Today’s consumers will also much rather watch a video to learn about a product or service.
Given these digital marketing facts, video has been a very effective marketing tool. It can help you increase brand awareness, generate more leads, and increase sales — thereby giving businesses a good return on investment (ROI).
2. Voice Search
Voice search is one of the emerging trends in marketing for the digital space. With the release of smart speakers with voice assistants like Siri and Alexa, more consumers are utilizing voice search in their daily lives. Smart speaker adoption will continue to increase in the coming years. As such, businesses should incorporate voice search optimization in their SEO strategy.
Voice queries on search engines tend to be more conversational compared to text-based queries. To capture voice search traffic, you will need to optimize for longer-tail keywords. Businesses who want to appear on voice search results must make sure that their Google My Business profile is complete and up-to-date.
In 2020 and beyond, more businesses will start incorporating artificial intelligence (AI) in their sales and marketing strategies.
Chatbots, in particular, has become one of the hottest digital marketing trends this year. Through AI, chatbots can interact with consumers in a natural way. They are also constantly learning based on the responses from consumers.
Businesses can utilize these chatbots to provide instant customer service response 24/7. You can also use chatbots to increase customer engagement, generate more leads, and reduce customer service expenses.
Personalization is an emerging trend in digital marketing. Consumers are becoming immune to digital ads so generic marketing messages are becoming less and less effective. They will be more likely to engage if your marketing messages are personalized. There are many ways to incorporate personalization into your digital marketing strategy.
When consumers visit your eCommerce website, show them the products and services that they are interested in. When it comes to email marketing, make sure that your subscribers are properly segmented according to their interests and needs. Produce content that is tailored precisely to your customer avatars. With personalization, businesses will be able to build quality relationships with their customers, increase customer engagement, and boost conversion rates.
5. Omnichannel Marketing
On average, consumers need a minimum of seven touchpoints before making a purchase from your business. If you are only engaging consumers on a single channel, it will take you a long time to convert them into customers. If you want to speed up the process, consider investing in omnichannel marketing.
Businesses should employ digital marketing campaigns across multiple channels such as blogs, email, mobile apps, and social media. It’s also important to deliver a consistent and cohesive message throughout these platforms. When done seamlessly, omnichannel marketing can increase visibility, customer engagement, and sales.
Impact of COVID-19 on Digital Marketing Trends
Apart from the five digital marketing trends in 2020, the outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has also led to significant changes in digital marketing. Here are some factors to consider when creating your digital marketing strategy for 2020 and beyond.
- Increase in Online Searches: Consumers are staying home as much as possible during COVID-19. As a result, online searches have almost doubled. There are also more searches for food delivery services and daily necessities. You can improve your SEO strategy and optimize for relevant keywords to increase your ranking and visibility on search engines.
- Increase in Direct Traffic: Established businesses have seen an increase in direct traffic to their website. Given this trend, businesses may want to focus their advertising campaigns on increasing brand awareness.
- Social Media Continues to Dominate: Social media is still as popular as ever. Many businesses are utilizing influencers to promote their brand. However, macro-influencers — or those with millions of followers — tend to deliver low ROI. Instead, your business can focus on micro-influencers (10-100k followers) as they have a more specific niche. Micro-influencers tend to have higher levels of engagement and conversion rates.
- Reduced Online Advertising Budgets: Due to the economic impact of COVID-19, many businesses have had to reduce their online advertising budgets. With lower demand, the costs of online advertising have also declined. If your business has the budget for it, you may want to invest in online ads. If the average cost per click is lower, you will be able to get a better ROI on your ad spend.
Formulating a Strategy Based on Digital Marketing Trends 2020 and Beyond
Businesses should always consider the latest digital marketing trends when formulating their online strategy. Video marketing, voice search, chatbots, personalization, and omnichannel marketing are some of the best digital marketing trends 2020. These digital marketing trends will also remain popular for the foreseeable future. If you want to achieve online success, it’s worth investing in these five digital marketing trends.
If you need help with your digital marketing strategy, do not hesitate to reach out to Tanner Grey today! Call us at 844.500.1339, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact us online to learn more about our services.
- 9 Brilliant Tips To Build Brand Awareness Online
- Social Media For Small Business: Brand Visibility In The Social Scene
- Images In Marketing: Doing Them Right